Wednesday, September 10, 2014

Trip of a Lifetime!

I told you yesterday that I'd have exciting news today. I can barely believe we are doing this, but it's all come together, and Lord willing, next Tuesday we'll be on our way to our next adventure . . .


Wes and I are taking a mission trip to 
South Africa!

We have two sponsored missionaries out of our church, one in Williams Lake, BC, and the other in Clewer, South Africa (northeast of Johannesburg, east of Pretoria). Almost two years ago, Bro. Jeremy Johnson in South Africa asked Wes to come and see his field and work. They began to work on the details, and now it's almost time to go!

We'll be flying from Vancouver to London, layover for about 6 hours, then another 11-hour flight to Johannesburg. From there we'll visit with Bro. Johnson and his family, which includes three little boys, with a little girl due in a couple of months. Wes will be teaching some Bible institute classes and I'll get to teach a couple of classes to the young ladies. We'll also get to know the young people in the Bible institute as well as help with some of the other work of the ministry. I'll be helping Rebekah, Bro. Johnson's wife, with much of the housework and cooking while we're there too.

Bro. Johnson also has plans to take us to Kruger National Park, a wildlife preserve that is part of the South African National Parks system. I don't know what to expect here. From what I understand, you drive through the park as the animals roam free. We've heard of an elephant attacking a small car of people, but the people were honking their horn at the elephant to try to get it to move. So he did! I don't expect we'll have such a problem, as I'm sure Bro. Johnson will do nothing to endanger us!

There will also be a national holiday while we're in South Africa, so we'll get to celebrate with the Johnsons and the people of their church. Wes and I are getting pretty excited about all we'll get to see and do while we visit a country I never dreamed I'd get to visit!

But that's not all . . .

October 12th is our 30th wedding anniversary. On our way back home, we'll have another layover in London, and . . . 

Paris
Photo credit: Moyan Brenn on Flickr
 Wes has planned for us to spend two more weeks in London and Paris for our anniversary! 

We will be in Paris on our anniversary! When we married 30 years ago, I never dreamed we'd ever visit Europe, let alone be in Paris on our 30th anniversary!

So that's our exciting news! We'll be gone for a month (several preachers and the men in our church are filling in for Wes while we're gone), and after that, we'll be finished traveling for a while. Please pray for our safety as we travel - we aren't ignorant of the world situations right now! And pray that we'll be a blessing to our missionary and his people in South Africa.

We will have limited internet access in South Africa, so I probably won't be able to update you from there, but I will do what I can when I can. We should have internet at our hotels in London and France. I will be most likely to post to my Instagram feed most often, so please feel free to follow me there.

Have you ever been to South Africa, London, or Paris? Any tips for us? Do you know any missionaries in London or Paris that we might visit?

South Africa Photo Credit: TagDeon Used with permission of Creative Commons license from panaramio.com  Copyright 2011

10 comments:

  1. Wow, Susan, very exciting!! Will be praying for a wonderful, safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! We would appreciate your continued prayer!

      Delete
  2. Sounds like it will be an amazing trip!

    I wish I could follow Instagram accounts online! I don't have a device I can use Instagram on so I can't create an account to even follow other people.

    Have a lovely trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lots of times I'll also post my IG pics to Facebook at the same time, so hopefully you'll see pics there. I don't know why the IG people only make their app available on mobile devices; seems like being online would be profitable for them too. I can access my account online, but nothing else.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. We're definitely excited! :)

      Delete
  4. Wow!!! Exciting! Hope and pray all goes well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, Susan, I must have missed the phone call where you were telling me you were taking me with you!!!! LOL!!! No, I've never been to those places, but wouldn't it be fun!!! I have been to Rome in Europe but that's it on that continent. Can't wait to hear about your adventures on the blog....I don't have facebook or instagram either. Have fun, fun fun!!! Happy Anniversary!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You shoulda been home when I called! ;) I'm going to do my best to blog as much of this trip as I can. I should keep a diary each day and use that to blog from.

      Delete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin