Monday, February 02, 2015

Trip of a Lifetime: London - The Tower Bridge

My husband, Wes, and I spent an amazing month on Our Trip of a Lifetime, traveling to South Africa to visit missionary friends, and then spending a week in London and a week in Paris. I'm sharing pictures and highlights from our trip!


On Sunday morning, we attended church at Bethel Baptist Church, which was a 30-minute tram ride to Wimbledon from our hotel in East Croydon. The people there made us welcome, and I loved the quaint little building! It was like stepping back in time.

A picture I took with my cell phone
Later on Sunday afternoon we toured the Tower Bridge over the River Thames. Many people (including us, before this trip!) think this is the London Bridge of children's song fame, but we learned that London Bridge is just a plain old bridge - albeit the newest version of a historical bridge, and this bridge, near the Tower of London, is actually just that - Tower Bridge. 

We had a guided tour of the bridge, including walking across one of the two spans at the top of the bridge (the other was closed for cleaning), and going down down down under the bridge to see the mechanism used to raise and lower the bridge. It's still a working drawbridge!

From the top of Tower Bridge
Wes really enjoyed this tour! He took lots of pictures of the city from the top of the bridge, and he bought the souvenir picture we had made during the tour. We took pictures of each other posing on the bridge too, and they turned out pretty good!

Another view from the top of the bridge
After our tour of the Bridge, we wandered around for a while figuring out where to eat. We finally decided to go back to the train terminal where we would catch our train back to the hotel, which also has a shopping mall and restaurants. So we ended up eating at Frankie and Benny's, not just on Sunday night, but one other night that week, too. 

Have you ever been to London? We loved it!

6 comments:

  1. Wow some wonderful pictures and memories, thankyou for sharing them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Clare!

      Delete
  2. Looks and sounds like so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was! I should have written down all my impressions as they happened, though, because now I'm having trouble remembering everything!

      Delete
  3. Amazing pictures, Susan! I think this iconic bridge would be a must-visit for me as well.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Susan, I'm late catching up on your trip of a lifetime, but I've certainly enjoyed all your entries. The pic you took with your cell phone is amazing! Just beautiful. I would loved to have been at the church service...looks like a quaint interesting building. I've never been to London, but, of course, would love to have the chance!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking a minute to read my ramblings and leave a comment! I appreciate it!

LinkWithin

Blog Widget by LinkWithin